‘Maskne‘ is real! How to fight breakouts, if your mask is causing acneyablochko
Is Wearing a Face Mask Causing Breakouts? Here Are Some Ways to Help Prevent Maskne
Maskne (mask acne): it’s a real term and an actual issue on the rise as more people are wearing masks for longer periods of time. It is caused by the combination of rubbing from the mask, which irritates the skin barrier, as well as the hot moisture trapped inside, which dilates the pores and allows bacteria and oil to clog them up. Once the follicles are trapped with gunk, they become inflamed, leading to nasty breakouts.
Acne mechanica – the technical term for maskne – was originally referred to when describing the acne football players would get where their helmet rubs, is now an issue for many others wearing a mask. Masks can worsen skin issues that already exist or cause new ones. Add in the summer heat and humidity and you’ve got a perfect equation for breakouts.
Tips to avoid mask acne
- Wash your masks. If you’re using a cloth or reusable mask, be sure to wash it in the washing machine and dry it completely after every use. If you’re using a disposable mask, it’s tempting to re-use it. However, it could be a breeding ground for bacteria, so you should throw it away after wearing it. Cotton masks allow the skin to breathe best.
- Use gentle skin care products. These don’t have to be expensive or fancy. Light, gentle, non-oily cleansers are best, and look for ones that are fragrance-free. Try to avoid wearing makeup such as foundation when wearing a mask so your skin is able to breathe.
- Wash your face. Gently cleanse your skin twice a day, morning and night with the fingertips only. Avoid scrubs or cloths to clean your skin. Don’t use heavy oil-containing products, like cocoa butter or coconut oil, and skip any kind of oil-based foundation. Use moisturizers or makeup products that are lightweight and oil-free. After applying moisturizer or sunscreen, wait at least 15 minutes before putting your mask on.
- Stick to the basics. At night after cleaning with gentle products, it’s ok to put on a moisture-rich cream to repair the skin barrier and hold in moisture
- Wear less makeup. The skin under your mask is not getting much air – top that by adding makeup is a double negative. Sweating underneath your mask, having no or less makeup on will better your chance of avoiding breakouts.
Maskne Treatment Options We Offer To Prevent And Fight Breakouts
ENHANCED MESOTHERAPY ACNE TREATMENT WITH INNO-SYSTEM® PURIFIER KIT. Combined VS MedSpa Special Strength Treatment.
IPL Photofacial utilizes infrared pulse light to warm up the skin, replenishing collagen and alleviating signs of acne for radiant skin!
Microneedling is a trending treatment option that stimulates your body’s natural production of collagen to refresh the skin from acne scarring!
Microdermabrasion improves minor textural issues and overall skin tone and can help in the treatment and reduction of acne as well as the overall improvement of scarring.
Pixel Fractional Laser Skin Resurfacing is a procedure that works to remove unsightly acne scars and create a smoother, more even skin texture.
Chemical peel treatment can be used on both face and body to improve both skin tone and texture and is a highly-effective treatment for acne and scarring.
OxyGeneo 3-in-1 Super Facial a deeply hydrating treatment that boosts collagen production, replenishes antioxidants, prevents premature aging and improves skin texture.